Posted: 18 October, 2016
DNA Found On Device Used For Fatal Adelaide Bombing
Remnants of DNA can now be recovered from the parcel bomb that ripped apart the National Crime Authority office in Adelaide in 1994.
A renewed investigation has opened up new lines of inquiry into the blast, which claimed the life of Detective Sergeant Geoffrey Bowen and seriously injured lawyer Peter Wallis.
Police now know the make-up of the bomb and technological improvements mean it's possible to locate DNA on remnants of the device, which could be later checked against the profiles of possible suspects.
Sixty-five items have been sent to the world-leading Netherlands Forensic Institute (NFI) for further examination while partial DNA profiles and fingerprints have also recovered from other crucial exhibits.
Detective Superintendent Des Bray said he was pleased with the outcomes of the fresh work being undertaken by Task Force Cornus, which was established last year to re-examine the bombing.
"Subject to the results we obtain, we will consider approaching people for additional DNA and fingerprints," he said on Tuesday.
"We have a partial DNA profile and we will be using NFI's technology to identify that."
Supt Bray said the task force was also focused on identifying witnesses who withheld or fabricated information.
"I would remind them it is not too late for them to come forward," he said.
"I would also say to them that if they are worried about having misled police or have changed their story we can work through those issues if they come forward now and tell the truth."
Adelaide man Domenic Perre was arrested over Det Sgt Bowen's murder soon after the bombing but charges were dropped six months later because of a lack of evidence.
A $1 million reward remains in place for information leading to a conviction.